ORC Injection/ Performance of Spill Closure
Project: Hudson Street
Location: Manhattan, New York
Services: NYC VCP Site Remediation of NYSDEC Spill During Development Enchance Fluid Recovery (EFR), Oxygen Releasing Compounds Advanced (ORCA)
The Site is approximately 12,937 square feet in area is located in the southwest portion of Manhattan. The current owner purchased this property for the development of a 10-story building.
Gasoline tanks were historically present on-site and the site was designated with a Hazmat/Noise “E”. During a subsurface investigation it was discovered that free product was floating on the groundwater, elevated levels of dissolved gasoline was present in the groundwater and levels of gasoline compounds were present in the soil. A NYSDEC Spill Number was assigned to the property. Hydro Tech then prepared a Remedial Action Work Plan (RAWP) and a Notice to Proceed was issued by NYCOER.
The remedial action consisted of:
- Excavation and disposal of petroleum contaminated soil and contaminated urban fill material
- The removal and proper registration of USTs
- The remediation of groundwater through the performance of Enchance Fluid Recovery (EFR) events and introduction of Chemical Oxidation solution brand name RegenOx™ and Oxygen Releasing Compounds Advanced (ORCA) into the saturated zone
- Application of ORC Advanced (ORCA) pellets at the excavation bottom at the interface of groundwater
- Installation of a vapor barrier and active sub-slab depressurization system